Swipe-Auctions lures you onto their site and invites you to check them out with an offer of free bids, but you have to create an account with them to do it. As soon as they have your CC# they charge you for 159.00, which they'll tell you was clearly marked on their welcome screen, though I don't remember seeing a welcome screen at all.

They emailed me what they would later call a "receipt", which included my account information (username and password), but no mention of any charges.

While checking their site, I decided these auctions are a fool's errand and decided not to play along.

Whenmy CC statement arrived with both a 159.00 charge PLUS a 40.00 foreign transaction fee(!) I was shocked and immediately called the company. Its recorded message directed me to the website again to the contact button. Herewith the so-called live service representative chat:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Lauren#SA3169'

Lauren#SA3169: Thank you for visiting SwipeAuctions.com Livechat Line. Our goal is to provide you with excellent customer service while assisting you with any questions or concerns you may have. We are here to help you win auctions, save money and have a great time. May we start with your name please?

you: hello. I would like a refund of the 159.00 charge on my credit card.

Lauren#SA3169: I would be happy to assist you with your concern, so in order to pull up the details of your account, can you please provide me with your full name, e-mail address and zip code?

Lauren#SA3169: Please wait while I check your order details in our system.

Lauren#SA3169: Could you please give me your last 8 digits of your card?

Lauren#SA3169: One moment please.

Lauren#SA3169: In order to further assist you, could I please have you CLICK HERE, to confirm that this is the checkout page you completed your registration from. This link will take you to the Original SignUp Page where you will see that the price of SwipeAuction Access is mentioned in several locations. Upon reviewing, are you able to locate where the $159.00 price is disclosed above the shipping form?

you: that page does not look familiar.

Lauren#SA3169: Certainly, I can help you with that. Typically we do not allow for refunds under these circumstances, as the price is very clearly disclosed. It is the consumer's responsibility to read the page carefully before entering credit card information. Regardless, I will gladly provide you with this simple refund form for you to complete as it is required by our bank in order for us to issue your refund. Please CLICK HERE to get a refund.

Is there anything further I can assist you with today?

you: do i need to print out that form or can it be transmitted electronically?

Lauren#SA3169: Please mail the original, hand printed complete Mail-In refund form to:

Lauren#SA3169: SwipeAuctions.com,

Lauren#SA3169: Refund Centre

Lauren#SA3169: 3140 S Peoria St. #K271

Lauren#SA3169: Aurora, CO 80014

Lauren#SA3169: And contact us back after 28 days for confirmation.

you: i do not have a printer.

Lauren#SA3169: Once you have the form opened on your screen you will be able to review the information we need in order to process your refund. You can complete the details we require onto a plain white sheet of paper and mail it to us. We will make this exception for you in order to assist you in obtaining your refund.

you: the recorded telephone message that this refund process would be fast and easy. I find it is neither.

Lauren#SA3169: Like most Retail Stores, we too require your original signature in order to process any refund through our Bank. As I have previously stated, the price is very clearly disclosed and we typically do not allow for refunds under these circumstances. Once again, please CLICK HERE to follow the easy steps necessary to ensure you receive your refund.

Is there anything further I may assist you with today?

you: if i can be charged at the click of a button, i should be refunded at the click of a button. I never signed any agreement.

Lauren#SA3169: I do not have the ability to refund you until you have completed the easy steps required for our MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. Unfortunately, like most Retail Stores, without this form and an original signature, I am unable to refund you. Please take the time to follow our incredibly easy MONEY BACK GUARANTEE available by CLICKING HERE.

Is there anything further I may assist you with today?

you: this form is asking for inclusion of govt issued id. how can i protect myself from id theft on these terms?

Lauren#SA3169: Every Bank and Merchant has their own requirements and regulations. Our bank has requested that in order to ensure the refund is processed and received by the correct customer; we are to obtain a signed refund form. Therefore, we have made this very clear on the MBG refund form.

you: signed form, no problem. ID with sensitive info, BIG PROBLEM.

Lauren#SA3169: Please remember that this is a Livechat service providing you the information we have been given, we do not make the regulations, we are only here to provide you with the information you need in order to receive your full refund.

you: I think your job is to give an appearance of legitimacy to a scam operation which is on a phishing expedition.

Is there anything further I may assist you with today?

you: can you put me in touch with an officer of the company?

Lauren#SA3169: I am the customer service supervisor on this shift.

you: obviously I'm asking for someone over your head.

Lauren#SA3169: I am the most authorized person in this shift.

you: can you give me an extension on the refund request while I seek legal advice?

Lauren#SA3169: I'm sorry I don't quite understand - could you please rephrase your question so that I can best assist you?

you: you're a machine, aren't you?

Lauren#SA3169: Yes! I can assure you I'm a real person.

you: Then what's with the "does not compute" response. I want to speak to an attorney about this issue without fear of the Money Back Guarantee expiring.

Is there anything further I may assist you with today?

you: You ARE a machine, aren't you?

Lauren#SA3169: No.

you: Then help me.

Is there anything further I may assist you with today?

you: Speak to me directly, like a person.

Lauren#SA3169: I am sorry but you need to follow our money back guarantee to get refund.

you: can you extend it or not?

Lauren#SA3169: You need to send us the refund form and contact us after 28 days to get refund.

you: Are you not at all suspicious of your employers' methods? Are you working from home?

you: Let me repeat, I don't believe I EVER saw the screen that stated the charge that would be placed on my card. I would never have agreed to it.

Is there anything further I may assist you with today?

you: Furthermore, the email "receipt" I was sent made NO mention of it either.

you: I want you to quit plugging in that stock answer until we're finished.

you: Who pays you?

Lauren#SA3169: My company.

you: Who signs your checks? Can you give me contact information for him/her?

Lauren#SA3169: He is not available on chats.

you: That's not what I'm asking for. How about a name and email.

Lauren#SA3169: You can email your concern to shalynrudolph@gmail.com

you: Now don't you feel better? I know this is an ordeal for you, but consider that in my view I'm fighting for $160.00 under threat of my bank account getting cleaned out. And I think you're being used to make it possible.

you: Stock answer again. Really??

Is there anything further I may assist you with today?

you: You see. You really are a machine. So sad. So sad.

Lauren#SA3169: Is there anything further I can assist you with today?

Chat session has been terminated by the site operator.

Had an Experience with SwipeBids?

Comments